Breakfast – it is sometimes called the most important meal of the day.
All too often it is also the most rushed meal of the day – a quick bite before you rush out of the house to go to work or take the kids to school.
For many people, it consists of eggs and bacon, a muffin, toast, coffee, a bowl of cereal with milk, a danish or a donut grabbed from a coffee house on the way to work. Which is great except when you are paleo or even worse following the Auto-immune protocol to heal your body and fix a leaky gut.
Most conventional breakfast ideas are full of sugar, gluten and grains and dairy and many paleo breakfasts consist of eggs and many other things that you cannot eat on a strict AIP protocol.
“What can I eat for breakfast?” I see this question raised a lot on message boards, forums and even facebook.
Here are 30 AIP breakfast ideas to help you out. Some are quicker than others, but all are delicious and 100% AIP compliant. They are also all paleo, gluten, egg and dairy free.
- Homemade Sausage Patties. This is what I eat for breakfast most often, served with a side of homemade sauerkraut and a mug of homemade bone broth.
- A green smoothie
- A smoothie made from coconut milk, frozen berries and either banana or avocado. Add some gelatin for extra protein.
- Beef sausage patties
- Green Plantain Pancakes served with berries and/or maple syrup
- Paleo Autoimmune Granola
- Bacon Avocado and Mushrooms
- Berry Gelatin Pudding (pictured above)
- Ground Beef Hash
- Faux-tmeal (Paleo Oatmeal) – omit the nut topping and top with fresh or frozen berries
- Apple sauce topped with coconut cream or coconut milk
- Paleo Breakfast Cookies
- AIP Paleo Pancakes serve with berries and/or maple syrup
- Coconut milk yoghurt served with berries
- A breakfast skillet made from whatever you have in the fridge
- Butternut squash (or pumpkin) porridge
- Paleo sticky buns
- Banana crepes – roll with berries and coconut cream
- Breakfast sausage with hash browns
- leftovers from the night before (who says you have to eat breakfast foods for breakfast?)
- Sweet caramelized plantains (omit the nutmeg if strict AIP)
- Bubble and squeak (omit the fried egg if strict AIP)
- Chicken liver pate spread on veggie slices or stuffed into a celery stick and topped with raisins or capers to make an AIP “Ants on a Log”
- Soup, soup, soup (omit the nutmeg in the last one if strict AIP)
- AIP plantain wraps – just fill with your favourite ingredients – I like to add leftover shredded meat, some veggies and guacamole
- Flaked canned fish with salad greens (I like a mixture of spinach, watercress and arugula) drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice
- A quick breakfast stirfry made from leftover cooked meat, bacon, mushrooms, green onions and any other veggies you can find
- Egg-free paleo macaroons
- Smoked salmon or leftover gravlax with salad greens dressed with olive oil and lemon and a little avocado. Serve with some lacto-fermented relish if you have some.
- Banana zucchini bread spread with a little dairy-free paleo butter
What do you like to eat for breakfast?
Shared at Gluten Free Wednesday
Shared at Allergy Free Wednesday
Shared at Pennywise Platter Thursday 73
Shared at Gluten Free Fridays #98