A few months ago, I saw a post on IPMG about how to make mayo using a stick-blender and a mason jar.
Previously, I had been making my mayo either in my blender or the hard way with a mixing bowl and a hand whisk.
Put it this way, this method has literally changed my life!
It is so easy – rich, thick, additive-free mayonnaise without any hard work. And the best bit is that it only takes seconds.
It works every time – the trick is to keep the stick-blender perfectly still until the mayonnaise has started to thicken. If you move it before this it will go runny on you.
While not strict AIP (it contains egg yolks), this may be tolerated by anyone who has successfully reintroduced eggs or egg yolks (for the most part, it is the egg white that can be problematic for people with AIP issues). This is also paleo, and free of all of the questionable additives that store-bought mayo contains.
And it is delicious!
This recipe contains egg yolks (stage 1 reintroduction). When reintroducing foods on the AIP, I recommend this guide.
The Easiest Mayo Recipe EVER!
makes 1 cup
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup avocado oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place the egg yolk and lemon juice in a wide-mouthed mason jar. Add the olive oil and avocado oil. Season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Place the stick blender in the mason jar and blend without moving the stick blender. Once the mayonnaise is starting to form, you can move the blender up and down gently, but wait until it is starting to thicken before you do this.
Taste to check the seasoning and adjust by adding more salt or pepper as necessary.
This mayo will keep in the fridge for 1-2 weeks if it is stored in a sealed jar.
Use as you would use any mayonnaise.
- add 1-2 cloves of garlic before blending to make Aioli
- add ½-1 tsp ready made mustard (mustard is an AIP stage 2 reintroduction).
- add ½-1 tsp anchovy paste and a little nutritional yeast to make a paleo/aip version of ceasar salad dressing
- add 1 canned sardine before blending to increase the omega 3 content
- add any herbs you like along with some spinach to make a green dressing.
- add a chilli pepper or even a chipotle chili in adobo to make a spicy chilli/chipotle salad dressing or dip. (chilli is a stage 4 reintroduction)
That is just 6 suggested add-ins, but really you could add anything you fancy to this
Go wild! Experiment! Have Fun!
Shared at Mostly Homemade Mondays #83