A couple of weeks ago, on the 25th of Feb, Hubby went down to the basement, where our bedroom and bathroom are located for a shower and he discovered this:
A huge damp patch on the bathroom ceiling and water pouring through it and running down the shared wall between the bathroom and the basement storage area.
The kitchen island unit with the dishwasher, sink and garbourator were right above it, and there was a big split in the drainage pipe. As the dishwasher was pumping out at the time, the water was gushing out of the leak.
I didn’t manage to get a picture of the water pouring out, because tbh, the first thought on my mind was to mop up all the water and not to grab the camera. I grabbed every towel I could find in the house and used them to mop up the water on the bathroom floor and in the storage area.
Fortunately we were lucky – the only things that got wet were the contents of the vanity:
a back pack and a box of outgrown kids clothes that were destined for Goodwill:
While I was clearing up, Hubby went to call the insurance company, and they sent round a restoration company, Action Restoration.
By 9pm, they were at our house, and for the next couple of hours they started sorting things out and taking photographs etc. They also discovered that there was a second leak in the kitchen. The same pipe had a second leak higher up inside the island unit and the base of the cabinet and the kitchen floor was soaked as well. Some of the tiles were lifting up on the kitchen floor:
They left at about 11pm after dropping off 3 HUGE dehumidifiers, 2 in the basement (one in the storage area, one in the bathroom), and one in the kitchen.
At that point, Hubby and I fell into bed. Our bedroom is also in the basement, but fortunately the floor in there didn’t get wet.
But let me tell you, sleeping with 2 dehumidifiers running just outside the room you are trying to sleep in is almost impossible!
In all, we had to leave those machines running for about 5 days, and I had the WORST sleep over that period that I have ever had (they also increased our electricity bill by around $150 as well).
The next day, we got a plumber round to fix the leaking pipes (we just didn’t use the sink unit or dishwasher until this point), so we ended up with a hole in the bathroom ceiling:
He discovered that the split in the pipe was far longer than was originally thought, so had to extend the hole further so that he could fix the pipe:
In all, the split was over a foot in length and extended from above the bathroom ceiling into the storage area.
Then he fixed the leak in the kitchen cabinet. This necessitated a hole being cut in the base:
A couple of days later, Action Restoration came round again to cut out the damaged drywall and cieling:
And this is the stage we are at now – a hole in the bathroom wall and a hole in the ceiling. We are now awaiting the insurance companies approval of the remedial work that needs doing… Over 3 weeks later!
Fortunately they didn’t remove the damaged kitchen floor or island unit or our kitchen would have been unusable.
All I can say is that I hope they get a move on and fix it soon!
To say that this has been a stressful 3 weeks doesn’t do it justice!
Fortunately, it could have been a LOT worse. The leak involved the dishwasher, so it was grey water. It could so easily have been sewage as there is a bathroom on the first floor. It could have damaged our bedroom. It could have been more extensive in the storage-room, as there is some irreplaceable stuff stored in there. And relatively few of our possessions got wet. I had to throw out the box of clothes that I was going to take to Goodwill, and we had to replace our toothbrushes and toothpaste etc. Apart from that, the only other thing was the backpack. I am just grateful it was confined to the bathroom and a very small area of the storage-room.