The Planetbox lunchboxes arrived yesterday afternoon (YAY! – Happy Dance….)
So for the first time we got to pack a packed lunch in one of these boxes (which btw are very well made – Hubby will write a review of them later on at the weekend).
The one thing you have to remember about these lunch boxes is that they are not leak-proof… if you need to use a leak-proof container, you have to use either the big dipper or little dipper that comes with them. In this lunch, we used both, although the big dipper was probably not strictly necessary for salad. But the girls wanted to use everything that came with it…
This is what the younger 3 girls (C, J and B) are taking to school for lunch tomorrow:
Clockwise from the top left hand corner they have:
- The little dipper filled with a balsamic vinagrette dressing (olive oil and balsamic vinegar) with some home-cooked pastured ham slices below it.
- a baby cucumber
- The big dipper filled with salad (red leaf lettuce and cherry tomatoes)
- Sliced gala apple dipped in a 50/50 mix of lemon juice and water to prevent browning
- A square of 85% cocoa solid chocolate in the center treat container.
I took the picture of the lunch before putting the lids on both the big and little dippers.
While this lunch may seem a little light on the protein, I am not too worried – there will be enough here to keep them full until they get home, and they had a really good breakfast (sausage patty, fried eggs and rutabaga hash-browns). Plus dinner is also going to be protein rich (pulled pork in lettuce wraps). I believe in looking at the nutrients consumed in the entire day rather than focusing on one single meal.
A made her own lunch. She put mixed berries in the big dipper and some balsamic vinegar to drizzle over the berries in the little dipper (she can be a little bit of a gourmet at times!), She also sliced up an apple and took some ham, and she put a baby cucumber in the long section. She declined to take the square of dark chocolate and ate it there and then.
And this is Hubby’s lunch:
Clockwise from the top left:
- the little dipper filled with balsamic vinagrette (balsamic vinegar and olive oil, with baby carrots below
- cherry tomatoes
- a green salad (2 cups chopped lettuce and 1 chopped baby cucumber)
- sliced home-cooked ham
- a square of dark chocolate in the center treat section
- 1/4 cup walnut halves in the large dipper (packed separately)
I am at home all day today, so my lunch is not being packed.